Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 14:20:37 -0400
From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@...il.com>
To: "discussions@...sword-hashing.net" <discussions@...sword-hashing.net>
Subject: Re: [PHC] What Microsoft Would like from the PHC - Passwords14 presentation

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 1:50 PM, <Stefan.Lucks@...-weimar.de> wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Aug 2014, Bill Cox wrote:
>
>  OK, then all the hybrid designs are *not* cache timing resistant.
>> However, they all happen to be better at *defending the password* than any
>> of the cache-timing resistant algorithms, even when the attacker has
>> cache-timing data.
>>

> Do they?

Yep.  Benchmarked them myself :-)

Two-loop hybrid algorithms generally lose 1/2 of their runtime and 1/2 of
their memory requirement with cache timing data, for a 4X lower resistance
to brute force attacks with cache timing data.  I only claim TwoCats is
1/16th as strong as Catena against brute-force guessing with cache timing,
if all else were equal.  However, all else is not equal!

For example, Lyra2 does a modified round of Blake2b for it's memory-filling
hash, which is still far stronger (and slower) than needed, IMO.  That's 12
times faster than Catena's full 12-round Blake2b hash for filling memory.
Yescrypt's custom wide-trasform-thingy smokes in a way that only a genius
at SIMD level code optimization could achieve.  Running that thing in
parallel will fill up any server's memory bandwidth, while coming close to
filling L1 and L3 bandwidth at the same time.  None of the cache-timing
resistant algorithms are capable of efficiently busting out of cache in any
efficient manner, much less filling any RAM bandwidth.

The end result is that the presented hybrid algorithms fill several times
the memory in half the time compared to the cache-timing resistant
algorithms.  This is not an inherent limitation in cache-timing resistant
algorithms.  With "tweaks" that I hope some of them will adopt, they could
easily run 10X faster or more.  I hope to badger some of them into it :-)

I was wrong in a post above about speeding up Catena.  You can't do 100
Blake2b pipes in parallel, computing the same password hash, unless you are
doing a massive TMTO against it.  In that case, many recomputations can be
done in parallel.  This likely can  lead to an effective TMTO attack
against Catena, as the article suggests.  Kudos to the author for finding
this!  Such a TMTO against a hybrid design will run into memory bandwidth
problems, because even if there are 100 computations that can be done in
parallel, the data in the second loop will be scattered unpredictably
through RAM, causing a memory bottleneck.  Predictable addressing enables
an attacker to mostly eliminate that botttleneck to on-chip cache.

> The very least the adversary can see from the hybrid designs is if the
> password is the same (same data access pattern) or has been changed
> (completely different data access pattern). This doesn't immediately help
> to find the password, but it can still be useful information ...
>
> Stefan

I agree.  Leaking meta data like this could be quite harmful.  I just think
that we should not forget that defending the password is important.  I'd
say it's Job #1.

The presented cache-timing resistant entries all run out of gas before
busting out of L3 cache into significant amounts of DRAM, so it makes sense
to talk about ASIC attacks against them with integrated memory.  Intel
processors have a 15 cycle latency:

http://www.sisoftware.net/?d=qa&f=ben_mem_latency

On a custom ASIC, we can take advantage of the predictable addressing to
completely eliminate the latency.  In addition, we can cut the operations
done in Blake2b by around 10X in delay with custom data paths, and our data
paths can be twice as wide as we have on Intel processors today.  With some
hand waving, I'd say that's about 4 ASIC clocks vs 15 +3*12*2 for a full
random L3 access followed by a full 12 rounds of Blake2b.  That's about
87X.  Given some other opportunities for speed ups I haven't covered, I
think trying to speed these algorithms up 100X in an ASIC sounds reasonable.

In comparison, the hybrid entries take cache architecture into account, and
have almost no L3 cache latency problems.  This is because they read 1K to
16K blocks, large enough to allow the prefetch hardware to do it's thing.
An ASIC attacker is going to see little improvement.  At the same time, the
simpler hash functions can be done by the ASIC in 1 clock (except for the
multiplication chains in two of them), but they are done in only 1 to 3
clocks on the CPUs tested.  Yescrypt in particular goes the extra mile
doing lot's of very small random L1 cache reads, like Bcrypt, which will be
very hard to speed up on an ASIC.  Designing an ASIC that can speed up
Yescrypt by > 2X is not a job I would sign up for!  Now saving on power is
another matter...

Bill

Content of type "text/html" skipped