Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 13:39:11 -0800 (PST)
From: Bigby Findrake <bigby@...emeron.org>
To: Anthony Cicalla <Anthony.Cicalla@...kServ.com>
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: RE: Vulnerabilites in new laws on computer hacking

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006, Anthony Cicalla wrote:

> I would have to say that I agree with you in what you have said.  I am a
> young security professional with a cissp, but growing up I did not have
> the $ to be able to purchase vmware and all the software to setup a test
> environment. I also bet that most of you between ages 12 - 16 had the
> minimum 500.00 for a pc and another 300.00 for vmware and the list goes
> on and on. To learn computer / network security is expensive and the
> materials are costly in a lot of situations.

Perhaps this is beating a dead horse, but could someone explain to me why
the addition of a $50 computer found at a garage sale, a $10 NIC, and a
$20 switch or hub to any would-be-infosec's arsenal wouldn't suffice for
this purpose?  We're not trying to brute force 4 kilobit pgpkeys, we're
trying to present a host to attack.  FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Linux...
all free operating systems.  Isn't there an x86 version of solaris that's
free?  $500 computers aren't needed for this testing.  I suggest that the
necessity for more expensive hardware is the exception, and not the rule.
Bochs may not be speedy, but it works.

I would also suggest that anyone who finds that money is an obstacle is
looking for excuses.  I have often found ways to make outdated hardware
useful in a variety of situations.

> If we are going to make stricter laws why do we not have something setup
> for more positive learning.  Maybe a sponsored couple of sites to teach
> this and be legal targets for script kiddies. Just some of my thoughts
> on the matter. After saying this I don't support illegal activities but
> if we want the kids to learn and not go to jail for being curious then
> we as a community need to look at this and provide a positive outlet for
> this type of activity.

"I've tried to install this linux crap about nearly five times, but everytime
it stops with the error message: 'login:'
Fix that immediately or I'll go public with that." -- some random moron

                    finger://bigby@...emeron.org
                   http://www.ephemeron.org/~bigby/
                   irc://irc.ephemeron.org/#the_pub