From: yossarian at planet.nl (yossarian)
Subject: Cryptome Hacked!

Cryptome Hacked!Sung J. Choe wrote:
>> Let me turn around the issue a bit - any crypto software distributed with
the blessing or very active support in >>development of the Powers That Are
in No Such Agency
>That is my point exactly.  Anybody foolish enough to think that the US govt
would allow unbreakable crypto to be loose in >the public domain is insane.
Just imagine an international financial network with transactions conducted
in total secrecy: the >govt would and should never allow that.

Well, you are basically saying the US should seek to police the public
domain. The real issue is not about allowing, but about policing. You cannot
disallow what you don't control. I might be an insane leftist, but I think
the US can NOT control 5 bil. people. What it can do, is alienate more
people. Overextending an empire is usually an indication of its downfall, as
Toynbee has argued. A really effective strategy would be on the lines of how
the cold war was won, as outlined by George Kennan in 1949: containment.

If unbreakable crypto exists, which I really doubt, chances are it might
just be built outside the US of A. The new standard for crypto in the US is
Made in Belgium (Rijndael/AES). Boycotting french wine is one thing, but not
having good crypto in your own defence is insane. The belgian government is
really opposing Mr. Bush - and might just stay on this course.

The arabs invented algebra, so why shouldn't a 19 y/o living in Zaoezouate
invent unbreakable crypto? What then? Nuke the B******? I think we will just
have to accept that the good ol' US cannot be a John Wayne style sheriff in
the real world.

Judging the amount of crypto stuff in the public domain, policing
development of strong ciphers will be practically impossible for the next 20
years, anyway. Just take a look at Citeseer, and query something on AES, for
instance. You''l see what I mean.

>> can we stay clear of political statements on this forum
>I apologize for some of the political statements in my post.  However,
please take seriously my questions as they are valid >for this forum given
TIA (Total Information Awareness) and the current state of global security.
I appreciate any creative >insight anybody may have regarding my question.

TIA was stopped, if I am informed correctly. If it ever takes off, the
legalities of it will be really harmfull to international relations. And
what do you mean, given TIA - let John Poindexter, the man who considered it
his job to lie to Congress, go ahead? TIA is no more than a concept, no
facts have yet been found, just a hype on digital Pearl Harbours created
that is already dying, see the exit Mr. Clarke.

TIA is great for the IT industry, but the probability of it catching a real
evil person are nil. It is a huge relational database - how will its data
integrity be? Statistically, a very good database has 91% correct records.
Since TIA will hold intel on all american citizens, and every person
visiting the country, some 50M per year, it will have some 300M records on
people alone at kick-off. At best, only 27.000.000 people per year will have
to be investigated, just to weed out errors. How long does an average
investigation take? How many men in blue and men in black will you need? Who
is to pay. The question in international politics still is: How many tanks
does the Pope have - not how many hackers. Consider the amount of data
replicated. How fast will such a system grow? What boggles my mind - but
hey, I'm dutch -it will list people buying certain books (see patriot act),
but it will not list the guns people own. This should be huge amounts of
data - or do average American own more guns than books? Sorry, that's
politics. On a single person, how many fields will it have? 5K? How
up-to-date will it have to be? In such a registration, will all the other
underlying systems give valid data? Will the services and agencies providing
these data, all of sudden start in knowing the whereabouts of all foreign
students, etc.? Garbage in still is you know what out. SDI was a brilliant
move, breaking the soviet economy with a technical phantom. But TIA will not
start a technological arms race. Have you recently checked the stats on
large IT projects - they fail. This one will be huge. So the state of global
security will not and cannot be served by a large scale IT approach - the
bigger the system and the more players iinvolved - the smaller its chances
for success. TIA will at best be a technical and financial disaster, robbing
the armed forces of the budgets for real weapons - which I doubt they need,
anyway, and robbing the rank-and-file of the forces of a raise in pay they
really DO need.

> Please feel free to disregard the other statements.
I will. You can do the same with mine.

Sung J. Choe <SChoe[at]oicinc.com>, TICSA
Systems Administrator, Facility Security Officer
     Oceanic Imaging Consultants, Inc. / www.oicinc.com   Ph #: (808)
539-3634