From: mosten at bleepyou.com (Michael Osten)
Subject: AW: Zone Alarm

On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 21:15, Jason wrote:
> Are you implying that
>
> 1) You know of a hardware only solution that can do per application
> network blocking when dealing with like protocols.

No idea, but that is not what he said.  I quote

"There is one big benefit, which no hardware router can bring you. Zone
alarm
and other Windows based Software Firewalls can block network access for
programs. A HW firewall can only block a whole machine but can't denied
access for one software and allow access for another software on the
same machine."

Bonus points: Who can spot the inaccuracies.

The fact is that there probably is not (not that I know of) a true
"hardware firewall" available.  It all has some sort of software unless
someone has written a RFC to control transmission packets via resistors.

For layer 7 filtering, lots will.  The Cisco Pix for example.

> 2) The statement is incorrect.

See question 1.

> 3) The conversation should be turned into yet another worthless personal
> attack thread that serves no meaningful purpose.

Bad advice needs to be beat like a red-headed stepchild.  You won't see
me post often for the following reason:

1. If I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, I keep my mouth
shut, or in this case, I stop myself from typing.

2. I do not post to foreign language mailing lists.  It is hard enough
to get a point across in my native language.