From: daniele at muscetta.com (Daniele Muscetta)
Subject: Microsoft urging users to buy Harware Firewalls

>> I agree with Microsoft's recommendation for a hardware firewall on all
>> home PCs.  A Linksys NAT router box is selling for only $40 at Amazon
>> as we speak.  Besides protecting against the MSBlaster worm, a
>> hardware firewall blocks those annoying Windows pop-up spam messages
>> which have become so common lately.  A hardware firewall also protects
>> a shared Windows directory from being accessed from the Internet.  My
>> only question is why aren't NAT routers built into all cable and DSL
>> modems.

exactly, this is correct, and a lot of home users are passing to use this
kind of protection instead of being completely exposed.
Which is FINE.
It's good.

Darren, the article is about EDUCATING people, like someone else was
writing lately, instead of leaving ignorant. What's wrong with that?
I find it a very GOOD point.

> If that is really Microsoft's position, then what does it say for about
> the presence of the "firewall" software that they ship in XP ?
> I'm not sure I'd like to be in the engineering group that is responsible
> for their firewall software if the company doesn't feel comfortable
> enough about it such that it feels like it has to promote using other
> firewall devices instead.

But have you actually READ the article ?
It just gives an overview of WHAT FIREWALLS ARE: hardware and software.
And it tries to explain to the average consumer why he should get one, and
which the benefits are of purchasing one kind rather than another kind....

IT DOES talk of their own ICF, and it explains how to use it....

<SNIP>
You can also use ICF to protect a single computer connected to the
Internet with a cable modem, a DSL modem, or a dial?up modem.
ICF is free and a great way to protect your computer from most of the bad
things that might find you on the Internet. </SNIP>

and he concludes:

<SNIP> Whichever you choose, you?ll find using the Internet much more
enjoyable when you?re nestled safely behind a firewall. </SNIP>

That's it.

He just encourages the USE of firewalls, DOES NOT matter which one.
What is wrong with that?
It is a step in the right direction: TEACHING people how to protect
themselves.

....just my opinion.

Rgds,

Daniele Muscetta