From: trihuynh at zeeup.com (Tri Huynh)
Subject: Microsoft MCIWNDX.OCX ActiveX buffer overflow

Hi, List

I'm very happy with all the supportive feedbacks. The MCIWNDX.OCX is
originally shipped with
Visual Studio 5.0 (or VB 5.0) and it is a Microsoft-signed ActiveX
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com
:80/support/kb/articles/Q173/3/52.asp&NoWebContent=1)
However, while most of the ActiveXs in Visual Studio 5.0 are updated and
patched in VS 6.0,
MCIWNDX.OCX is not patched, and a new version of the ActiveX called
MCI32.ocx is introduced.
Unfortunately,  MCIWNDX.OCX is still shipped with Visual Studio 6.0 CD and
it is placed
 in "\Common\Tools\Vb\Unsupprt\Mciwindx" folder of the Visual Studio 6.0
Enterprise Edition
Disk 3; and the ActiveX is also installed by default in the Enterprise
Edition. Since it is installed
by default and registered with a CLSID, it is a timing bomb and should be
removed.

As most of us already notice, an unsecure local ActiveX can be exploited by
making a website that tries to
inject shellcode to take control of the client machine. Although the ActiveX
is patched locally, the hacker
can still use the CODEBASE/CLSID properties to instruct the browser to
download a Vulnerable
Microsoft-signed ActiveX and exploit it.

I haven't seen any widespread of ActiveX attacks conducted by hackers yet,
but however, since the
way IE handling ActiveX in default is unsecure, we will probably see many
hacking attemps using this
weakness.

Regards,

Tri Huynh
SentryUnion

PS : I just recognize that several places in my recent post I mistakenly
wrote the
ActiveX name MCWNDX.OCX instead of MCIWNDX.OCX. :-) Sorry for
all the confusing. Now, I figure out that coffee and girls do destroy human
mnemonic :-)