From: tim-security at sentinelchicken.org (Tim)
Subject: Fw: Red Hat Linux end-of-life update and transition planning

> To answer your question:

To answer some of your mis-conceptions:

> Debian: 8 CDs of useless or outdated software, 2.2 kernel install,
> poorly designed install tool

That is a common perception.  But that is because Debian doesn't put out
a lot of semi-stable software for the masses to screw themselves with.
They kinda care about those who use it.  So, even if the software
doesn't have a lot of features, at least it is rock solid.

And you can run unstable if you like, and it isn't any less stable than
'doze.  The best part is, you can reliably patch 100 servers in very
little time if they run stable and not have to sweat at night worrying
about them going down.

Keep in mind, most open source software is pretty unstable upon first
release.  The strict debian policies and bug tracking systems are just
what is needed.  Oh, yeah, and what other distro can let you run up to
TWO kernels OTHER than Linux?

If all you are really interested in is clicky clicky, then Debian can do
that too, you just have to have a few minutes of patience...

> SuSe: the most promising, which is why they'll probably be next to screw
> the Linux community.  Not sure if I can handle them discontinuing it for
> a SECOND time.

Might be promising, haven't really looked at it though.  I have heard it
is clicky-clicky, though, which is apparently all you are interested in.

> <rant>
> I'm a strong supporter of open-source, free software...but wtf good is
> the GPL if the cycle always ends in the open-source, free software
> community being screwed?
> </rant>

The whole point of the GPL is that the user community doesn't get
screwed.  Any company that writes software under it doesn't get to take
it and run away.  With licenses such as the BSD, they can.  Think about
it.  Even if RedHat becomes a money grubbing whore and sells a bunch of
mediocre software to people who see it as marginally better than
windows, then we still get to keep a lot of that code in the community.
They have contributed quite a bit to the linux kernel, after all.

The companies aren't the thing.  The people are the thing.  This isn't
corporate america, it is open source.

cheers,
tim