From: mvp at joeware.net (joe)
Subject: lame b!tching about xpsp2

Your computers can have different OSes on them,  Your OS can run on
different brands of computers, you can run different Office Suite packages
on your different Oses (even Windows).

Contrariwise, I can't run diesel in my gasoline engine, can't run jet fuel
either. I can't easily take the heads from a Chevy and put them on a Ford. I
can't put a bar of Ivory in my dishwasher and expect my dishes to turn out
very clean.

What is your point here.

Shooting for computers as appliances for a majority of the users out there
is a good and noble thing. They are, after all, simply tools. I personally
don't want an appliance, but I am not a normal user like the vast majority
of the users.

To bring this back to security and the topic at hand. SP2 does not make it
so a machine doesn't require patching. It is an attempt to reduce the rush
sometimes required for patching. It may or may not fail in that regard but
at the very least it is an attempt in that direction. All of your griping is
simply griping against someone trying to make the environment better.

If anything you should be pushing this update. You aren't going to get
people to dump Windows no matter how much you rant about it. You might as
well be tilting at windmills instead of Windows. Even if this updates
doesn't fix everthing you think it should fix and in the way you think it
should fix it, at least it is an attempt to fix it. So you don't have to
cheer it or tell people it is the greatest thing, but you should tell people
that their Windows machine is more secure with it than without it.

  joe