From: jonathan at xcorps.net (Jonathan Rickman)
Subject: Flaws security feature of SP2

> Exploiting this issue requires the ability to overwrite
> existing files wich have a trusted or non-existant ZoneID.
> Right now there is no known way to achieve this in an attack
> mounted from the Internet.

Ok. So if I have the ability to do that, isn't it safe to say that I already
control the box?

> Vendor status
> -------------
> heise Security has notified Microsoft about both issues on
> August 12. Microsoft Security Response Center
> responded:
>
> "We have investigated your report, as we do with all reports,
> however in this case, we don't see these issues as being in
> conflict with the design goals of the new protections. We are
> always seeking improvements to our security protections and
> this discussion will certainly provide additional input into
> future security features and improvements, but at this time
> we do not see these as issues that we would develop patches
> or workarounds to address."

I'm inclined to agree with them. I see the potential for problems as you
have pointed out, but I guess I need a little help in understanding how this
could ever be more than a theoretical vulnerability. Could you perhaps
elaborate and maybe toss in a hypothetical situation or two to help me see
what you're driving at?

--
Jonathan