From: keydet89 at yahoo.com (Harlan Carvey)
Subject: Hacking into private files, my credit card purchases, personal correspondence or anything that is mine is trespassing and criminal.

Micheal,

> I beg to differ.  This is not public domain.  This
> is something we all
> pay for and have a vested interest in.

I agree that we do pay for our access.

> The days of the 'wild west' are over.  There is a
> new sheriff in town.

How so?  Who or where is this sheriff?  Are you
referring to the regulation of the Internet?  By whom?

>  Because of stupid script kiddies and black hat
> assholes, things are
> going to change whether you like it or not - whether
> you agree with it or not.

I agree with you, they are going to change.  Spyware
is taking on more rootkit-like characteristics every
day.  As software and technology outstrips the
understanding of the user (further and further all the
time), we're going to have more and more incidents,
and more serious ones at that.  So you're right,
things are going to change.

Again...perceptions.  Most computer security folks
don't like analogies drawn between the real and
virtual worlds, but for most people there can't be a
distinct difference in perception between the two.
The things you do to protect yourself in the real
world, every day often without even thinking about it,
you should also do in the online world.

=====

"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for
you are crunchy, and good with ketchup."

"The simplicity of this game amuses me.
Bring me your finest meats and cheeses."