Date: Thu Aug 11 01:52:04 2005
From: jasonc at science.org (Jason Coombs)
Subject: Re: Help put a stop to incompetent computer
	forensics

Thierry Zoller wrote:
> JC> Because Trojan horses often have
> JC> these harmful functions, there often arises the misunderstanding that
>     ^^^^^                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> JC> such functions define a Trojan Horse.
>
> Please read what you just posted, it directly contradicts what
> that wikipedia author wrote 2 lines above that. That wikipedia
> article can be trashed.

It is not a misunderstanding. The definition of Trojan has very clearly
been relegated to the malware that forces open a means of unauthorized
or hidden access or remote control, i.e. a backdoor. I understand your
point that Trojan had a broader definition in the past, but that is in
the past. Archaic. The Wikipedia entry is instructive to illustrate that
there is so often a "misunderstanding" in present usage that the older
definition is no longer correct.

We won't succeed in attempts to convince millions of people that a
Trojan Horse is also a gift that contains a nuclear bomb inside that
will nuke your house after you accept it. That's not a Trojan, that's a
bomb, even if it is a Greek wooden horse. It just doesn't matter that in
the past the industry had not yet come to realize that it needed a
different term for spyware. We have it now, so there's no looking back.

Thanks for helping me understand your viewpoint. I've never met anyone
who thinks of a Trojan the way that you do, and the common usage even by
infosec industry professionals clouded my brain so badly that at no time
did I perceive the classic definitions you and others have cited to
imply anything other than the context in which the term is used today.
The bad acts that the Trojan performs, in my mind, must be in connection
with some attempt to give the Trojan author further, future access to
systems or to the data they contain.

I'm not saying that you're wrong. I'm saying you have far too much
experience and expertise, and all that knowledge is causing you to fail
to see the forest for the trees. Common people's common sense has
changed the definition of Trojan, pure and simple.

Nobody today would avoid using the term spyware just because the term
Trojan was the way in which that malware would have been labeled in the
past. As I said, everyone I know understands what a Trojan is, and their
understanding is not what you suggest it should be.

Sincerely,

Jason Coombs
jasonc@...ence.org