Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 19:08:02 -0400
From: "Kenneth F. Belva" <ken@...security.com>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk,  bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Security as an Enabler - Virtual Trust: An Open
 Challenge to All InfoSec Professionals

I've been defending Virtual Trust as an enabler for the past three days
on the full-disclosure list. So far, fairly successfully.

Here's the challenge: How creative are you *for* VT, *against* VT and
determining the *impact* of VT?

Here's your chance to figure out what works and what doesn't with the
theory I've proposed.

Naturally, the results may (or may not!) significantly impact our field.

I have set up three pages on my blog for comments. All I ask is the
following:

1. Keep an open mind
2. Read the main source material before posting
3. Provide a thoughtful reply

I look forward to the ultimate peer review.

Bring it on!

Ken

Main Source Material

Here is the main paper:
http://www.ftusecurity.com/pub/VT-belva-dekay-final.pdf

Here is a post regarding the distinction between Virtual Trust and the
current model of information security, the Insurance Model:
http://lists.grok.org.uk/pipermail/full-disclosure/2006-September/049698.html

Information Security is a necessary but not a sufficient condition for
the creation of electronic assets and electronic business relationships:
http://lists.grok.org.uk/pipermail/full-disclosure/2006-September/049683.html

A independent VT example thought of by Brian Eaton not found in our main
paper or subsequent posts (pay-per-click advertising):
http://lists.grok.org.uk/pipermail/full-disclosure/2006-September/049658.html

Website Pages

Main Page:
http://www.bloginfosec.com

Virtual Trust: Support (FOR)
http://www.bloginfosec.com/?page_id=72

Virtual Trust: Objections (AGAINST)
http://www.bloginfosec.com/?page_id=73

Virtual Trust: Impact (NEW POSSIBILITIES)
http://www.bloginfosec.com/?page_id=74