Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 18:49:25 -0400
From: Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu
To: Jared DeMott <demottja@....edu>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Right, or wrong?

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 17:46:51 EDT, Jared DeMott said:
> vendor.  I was thinking that this would be ideal since the vendor would
> have the most interest in knowing about/fixing the bug.

That's a dubious statement at best.

What a commercial vendor is interested in is minimizing their *total cost*
of providing whatever level of security they do.  As a result, unless the
bad press starts impacting product sales, the *best* stance is "stick head
in sand and pretend it's bulletproof".  Second best is "issue lots of press
releases saying we're dedicated to security".  Actually spending the big bucks
to make the product secure is a *distant* third.

And the instant they actually *buy* a byg report, they've lost all semblance
of plausible deniability.  "D'Oh! somebody reported it in our bugzilla but we
overlooked it" doesn't work if you've obviously *not* overlooked it to the
point of writing the submitter an actual check.