Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 16:27:28 -0500 (EST)
From: "Steven Adair" <steven@...urityzone.org>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Google / GMail bug, all accounts vulnerable

Glad to see we figured it out. :)  Yes, "Cross Site Request Forgery" would
be the correct term referenced by the acronym in all of the replies
(subsequently also the first result in a normal Google query).  I'm still
not quite sure what the big deal on the favicon stuff in terms of this
issue.  So lets say you completely disabled favicons altogether.  Now when
you visit the original PoC - it no longer works.  However, if you simply
had a 302 or mod_rewrite rule for any image that you actually had written
into the source of your page, you could achieve the same result.

Maybe the favicon.ico method is slightly transparent to the user as it's
not present when you view the source.  However, you could be almost as
sneaky by only throwing a redirect to the Google logout page if the
referer field includes your root page.  Otherwise if the user directly
requests it.. it displays a real image.

Explain to me what I am missing here.