Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 12:04:11 -0400
From: Laurelai <laurelai@...echan.org>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Obama Order Sped Up Wave of Cyberattacks
 Against Iran

On 6/8/12 11:38 AM, valdis.kletnieks@...edu wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 13:48:33 -0400, Ian Hayes said:
>>> With Stuxnet, it was lucky nobody was seriously injured.
>>>
>>> You cannot condone such weapons Valdis, or your hat will start to turn grey,
>>> black.
>> Stuxnet may not have killed anyone, but several Iranian nuclear
>> scientists were assassinated in conjunction with Stuxnet's release.
> Please don't feed the troll - the only way he can post to full-disclosure is
> if somebody quotes him in.
>
> The worst part is that Andrew's reading comprehension is as good as
> always - I wasn't commenting on Stuxnet, but the move of naval forces
> to the Pacific.  China isn't the only reason we might want a naval task
> force over there.
>
> And I never said I condoned it, merely pointed out alternate interpretations.
>
> The funny thing is that Andrew was going on for a *long* time that there
> is no such thing as cyber-warfare - when in fact it was going on while he
> was denying it.

I think the real question we should all think on is what are we going to
do about this kind of thing?

Because the way I see it, the infosec industry is part of this problem
until it finds a way to be a part of the solution, if you all even
desire this.

If you do then lets talk about finding solutions to countries using
cyberwar and using innocent peoples machines to carry it out, invading
peoples privacy and generally doing terrible stuff in the name of god
and country.

If you don't then just do us all a favor and stop calling yourself an
infosec expert, stop pretending to be one of the good guys and just call
yourself a mercenary and realize you are in the same class of people who
assassinated civilian scientists for political reasons. I hope all that
money helps you sleep at night.

Content of type "text/html" skipped