Date:	Sat, 14 Oct 2006 19:51:48 -0400
From:	John Richard Moser <nigelenki@...cast.net>
To:	Alan Cox <alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk>
CC:	Kevin K <k_krieser@...global.net>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Driver model.. expel legacy drivers?

Alan Cox wrote:
> Ar Sad, 2006-10-14 am 17:44 -0400, ysgrifennodd John Richard Moser:
>> Yeah, a static code coverage analyzer or some sort of code-reducer would
>> be nice; these are in general pipe dreams but eh.  Also these are
>> compressed bzip2 tarball sizes, not compiled kernel sizes or source tree
>> sizes.  I would imagine a 100MB bzip2 would turn into something quite
>> large; the major issue is the amount of work it takes to maintain
>> something like that.
>
> It's not actually clear that you can sensibly evaluate trends like that
> or the maintainability. Take a look at the flamewar the day the kernel
> tarball stopped fitting on one floppy disk (1.44MB)

I was using something called DOS back then I think....

> Things ceasing to be maintained and exiting the kernel is a two step
> process and there is a lot in the "waiting for someone to rescue it"
> stage that probably has no remaining users. At some point nor far away
> there is going to be a big flush of drivers when ISA bus is dropped.

WOW that means I'll lose networking on my other machine, which uses a
D-Link on an ISA bus to power a Pentium 200MHz with MMX technology.

> Microsoft are also being very helpful. They are making it harder and
> harder for people to use drivers not microsoft-signed which in turns
> pushes up costs for development and as a result encourages more
> standardization of driver interfaces to take place.

huh?

> Alan

- --
    We will enslave their women, eat their children and rape their
    cattle!
                  -- Bosc, Evil alien overlord from the fifth dimension