Date:	Sat, 5 Jul 2008 20:41:07 +0300
From:	"Felipe Balbi" <felipebalbi@...rs.sourceforge.net>
To:	"Arjan van de Ven" <arjan@...radead.org>
Cc:	"Kernel development list" <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	linux-acpi@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Battery life difference

Hi,

On Sat, Jul 5, 2008 at 6:54 PM, Arjan van de Ven <arjan@...radead.org> wrote:
> you may also need to toggle your bios to enable AHCI btw
>

>> > Also take a look at
>> > http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-kernel/2008/5/8/1771024
>> > because these patches save like 0.75W in our lab.
>>
>> cool, is it merged upstream ?
>> I'll build current git kernel and reply again with new linux results.
>> It could be that ubuntu 2.6.24 is broken somehow...
>>
>> > To be honest, I'm surprised at your results; in our testing (with a
>> > different distro though) we don't see such a difference and Linux is
>> > doing rather well.
>>
>> can you get powertop results in a 2.6.24 distro kernel and current git
>> kernel ?
>
> most of my measurement machines are in the office ;(
>
> Anyway, also make sure you use the 0.11 version of powertop; we added
> some newer stuff into that version...

Cool, now I'm using current linux 2.6.26-rc8 from git
b8a0b6ccf2ba2519ace65d782b41ee91bf3c3778

Now I'm reaching 9.8w consumption :-)

Really good improvements.

btw, any plans to move some of the powertop features to acpid ?
I mean, the wireless pm for iwl4965 could be there, couldn't it ?

I'll anyways clone linux-acpi tree and try to test recent patches
as much as I can, although omap is really eating my time.

thanks again Arjan.

--
Best Regards,

Felipe Balbi