Date:	Fri, 10 Aug 2012 01:14:32 +0200
From:	Janpieter Sollie <janpieter.sollie@...enet.be>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: POI: nvidia forcedeth phy id not present

 guess this is not a real bug report, just some POI:

1. one-liner: the realtek 8211cl driver (PHY 0x732) is not present in the forcedeth.c driver

2. full description: my mainboard (Asus M4N82 deluxe) has an onboard nvidia/realtek 8211cl
ethernet card.
The forcedeth detects the card, but is unable to bring up the phy, disabling additional features
(MTU limited to 1500).
The card identifies itself as 'PHY OUI 0x732', which is not even present in the forcedeth driver.
I feel not yet capable of developing a patch for this, I'm right now learning about linux driver
structure

3: keywords: networking, driver, nvidia

4. kernel version: Linux version 3.2.23 ( root@...egtuig) (gcc version 4.6.3 (Gentoo 4.6.3 p1.3,
pie-0.5.2) #1 SMP Sun Jul 29 19:35 CEST 2012

5: kernel messages: none

6: disabled features: mtu > 1500

7. Environment 7.1

7.1 Software: ifconfig, dmesg

7.2 Proc/cpuinfo:
>processor : 0 vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
>cpu family : 16
>model : 4
>model name : AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 920 Processor
>stepping : 2
>microcode : 0x1000086
>cpu MHz : 800.000
>cache size : 512 KB
>physical id : 0
>siblings : 4
>core id : 0
>cpu cores : 4
>apicid : 0
>initial apicid : 0
>fpu : yes
>fpu_exception : yes
>cpuid level : 5
>wp : yes
>flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx
fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm >3dnowext 3dnow constant_tsc
rep_good nopl nonstop_tsc extd_apicid pni monitor cx16 popcnt lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic
cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse >3dnowprefetch osvw ibs skinit wdt npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save
bogomips : 6349.76 TLB size : 1024 4K pages clflush size : 64 cache_alignment : 64 address sizes
: 48 >bits physical, 48 bits virtual power management: ts ttp tm stc 100mhzsteps hwpstate

7.2 Module information: forcedeth 50715 0 - Live 0xffffffffa012d000

7.3 dmesg info: view attachments

7.4 IO information: view attachments

7.5 lspci: view attachments

8. PHY info: view http://www.rom.by/files/rtl8211cl_datasheet_1.3.pdf

The point of improvement is not disabling the driver itself. but it would unlock some features
highly appreciated.
If required, I'll develop some patch for this, but it may take some time before I guess I know
how the chip detection actually works.

kind regards,

Janpieter Sollie - janpieter.sollie@...enet.be

View attachment "dmesg.log" of type "text/plain" (62709 bytes)

View attachment "iomem" of type "text/plain" (2710 bytes)

View attachment "ioports" of type "text/plain" (1734 bytes)

View attachment "lspci" of type "text/plain" (39005 bytes)