Date:	Wed, 9 Oct 2013 18:54:48 +0200
From:	Oleg Nesterov <oleg@...hat.com>
To:	Li Zefan <lizefan@...wei.com>
Cc:	Tejun Heo <tj@...nel.org>, anjana vk <anjanvk12@...il.com>,
	cgroups@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	eunki_kim@...sung.com
Subject: cgroup_attach_task && while_each_thread (Was: cgroup attach task -
	slogging cpu)

And I am starting to think that this change should also fix the
while_each_thread() problems in this particular case.

In generak the code like

	rcu_read_lock();
	task = find_get_task(...);
	rcu_read_unlock();

	rcu_read_lock();
	t = task;
	do {
	} while_each_thread (task, t);
	rcu_read_unlock();

is wrong even if while_each_thread() was correct (and we have a lot
of examples of this pattern). A GP can pass before the 2nd rcu-lock,
and we simply can't trust ->thread_group.next.

But I didn't notice that cgroup_attach_task(tsk, threadgroup) can only
be called with threadgroup == T when a) tsk is ->group_leader and b)
we hold threadgroup_lock() which blocks de_thread(). IOW, in this case
"tsk" can't be removed from ->thread_group list before other threads.

If next_thread() sees thread_group.next != leader, we know that the
that .next thread didn't do __unhash_process() yet, and since we
know that in this case "leader" didn't do this too we are safe.

In short: __unhash_process(leader) (in this) case can never change
->thread_group.next of another thread, because leader->thread_group
should be already list_empty().