Date:   Fri, 25 Aug 2017 17:13:35 +0200
From:   Hans de Goede <hdegoede@...hat.com>
To:     Christoph Hellwig <hch@...radead.org>
Cc:     Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...db.de>,
        Michael Thayer <michael.thayer@...cle.com>,
        "Knut St . Osmundsen" <knut.osmundsen@...cle.com>,
        Larry Finger <Larry.Finger@...inger.net>,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC v2 1/2] virt: Add vboxguest driver for Virtual Box Guest
 integration

Hi,

On 25-08-17 17:09, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 05:06:52PM +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> I'm afraid that the userspace API is more or less a take it
>> or leave it kinda deal, we can do small cleanups, but an
>> entire re-design is out of the question. The vboxguest code
>> has a long (too long) out of tree history and the same ioctl
>> interface is used by VirtualBox upstream on Windows, Mac OS X,
>> the BSDs and Solaris, so we cannot just go and break it to
>> out hart's content.
>
> Then hard out NAK for the code.

You know I've been working on this for almost 2 fulltime months
and this has been discussed in several places already long
before you jumped on this thread and so far everyone liked
the idea of getting this merged and was ok with living with
the existing ioctl API (assuming no security issues / other
nasty warts are found during review).

So although your input on this is appreciated some pragmatism
would also be much appreciated. Remember perfect is the enemy
of good.

Regards,

Hans