Date:   Thu, 14 Oct 2021 08:29:51 +0000
From:   "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@...el.com>
To:     "hch@....de" <hch@....de>
CC:     Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@...dia.com>,
        Jean-Philippe Brucker <jean-philippe@...aro.org>,
        "kvm@...r.kernel.org" <kvm@...r.kernel.org>,
        "jasowang@...hat.com" <jasowang@...hat.com>,
        "kwankhede@...dia.com" <kwankhede@...dia.com>,
        "Jiang, Dave" <dave.jiang@...el.com>,
        "Raj, Ashok" <ashok.raj@...el.com>,
        "corbet@....net" <corbet@....net>,
        "parav@...lanox.com" <parav@...lanox.com>,
        Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@...hat.com>,
        "lkml@...ux.net" <lkml@...ux.net>,
        "david@...son.dropbear.id.au" <david@...son.dropbear.id.au>,
        "dwmw2@...radead.org" <dwmw2@...radead.org>,
        "Tian, Jun J" <jun.j.tian@...el.com>,
        "lushenming@...wei.com" <lushenming@...wei.com>,
        "pbonzini@...hat.com" <pbonzini@...hat.com>,
        "robin.murphy@....com" <robin.murphy@....com>
Subject: RE: [RFC 10/20] iommu/iommufd: Add IOMMU_DEVICE_GET_INFO

Does it relate to the ATS story where the device gets translated address
from IOMMU and then directly sends request to memory controller?
In this way if the device is not in cache coherency domain then nothing
can change it.

Then if ATS is disabled, suppose the untranslated request from the
device is translated and forwarded by IOMMU to the memory controller.
In this case IOMMU should be able to join the coherency protocol
even when the originating device itself cannot.

Is above understanding correct?

Thanks
Kevin