Date:	Mon, 17 Sep 2007 11:51:23 -0700
From:	"Kok, Auke" <auke-jan.h.kok@...el.com>
To:	Rick Jones <rick.jones2@...com>
CC:	L F <lfabio.linux@...il.com>, James Chapman <jchapman@...alix.com>,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: e1000 driver and samba

Rick Jones wrote:
> Kok, Auke wrote:

>>> Please do and let me know. samba 3.0.26 helped, but the issue is
>>> still there.
>>

>> ok, from the spec: tx_deferred_ok is what is in the DC stats register.
>> DC stands
>> for "Deferred Count". This initially is meant to track how often the
>> TX unit cannot
>> send because the medium is busy in a Half-Duplex link state.
>>
>> To me it suggests that your speed is not full-duplex. Check `ethtool
>> eth0` output
>> and see if your link is full duplex or not. also check previous kernel
>> messages
>> and see what the e1000 driver posted there for link speed messages (as
>> in "e1000:
>>  Link is UP speed XXX duplex YYY")
>
> Shouldn't there then have been at least _some_ collisions reported in
> the stats?  And perhaps some late collisions?

well, from the documentation it sounds like the link was half-duplex, but
LF reported that it's not. This then points towards a medium issue (bad
cable) and after he replaced the cable, the issue went away (?).

I still don't fully grasp the reason why this counter would increment and
will investigate possibilities for that. My current suspicion is a physical
problem, most likely cable-related.

Auke