Date:	Sat, 13 Sep 2008 11:17:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:	Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@...d.net>
To:	Julius Volz <juliusv@...gle.com>
cc:	lvs-devel@...r.kernel.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
	j.stubbs@...kthink.co.jp
Subject: Re: Adding SNAT support to LVS/NAT

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008, Julius Volz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering about how hard it would be to add SNAT
> support to IPVS (that is, the director rewriting packets
> from the client to backends to appear to be from the VIP
> and some randomly allocated port).

when we've discussed it before, the packets will appear to
come from the DIP, a private IP (or whatever IP the servers
were using for their default route before they were put into
an LVS).

> This would allow us to have remote real servers with
> LVS/NAT.

more importantly, people who are bound by serious IT rules
setup by managers, can duplicate their (real) servers only
with a change in RIP on each server and can keep the default
route.

> I realize that Jason Stubb's PRE/POSTROUTING patches would
> also make this possible, but they seemed risky and we
> haven't heard of them in a long time.

Jason just sent me his current patch this week. You could
ask him for it directly. Apparently it's little/no different
to the patch he posted at

http://archive.linuxvirtualserver.org/html/lvs-devel/2008-04/msg00041.html

(hope I'm paraphrasing Horms correctly here...)
Horms would be happy to have this in the main release if it
could be invoked as an option.

> Also, having this option directly integrated into the rest
> of the IPVS NAT code might make it easier to use: just add
> another flag on the ipvsadm command line when you want
> SNAT for an LVS/NAT backend.

sounds great to me.

>From talking to Horms, LVS-NAT (and possibly LVS-DR) sends
the packets to the realservers via

ip_vs_post_routing()

which bypasses the OUTPUT chain. It would seem to me that if
you instead injected the packets into the OUTPUT chain, then
normal iptables rules could handle the SNAT to the
realservers. It might be slower that rewriting the packets
yourself, but for a first attempt, I think people will be so
happy to have the functionality that they won't quibble
about speed.

Joe