Date:	Sun, 14 Sep 2008 16:47:51 +0200
From:	"Julius Volz" <juliusv@...gle.com>
To:	"Joseph Mack NA3T" <jmack@...d.net>
Cc:	lvs-devel@...r.kernel.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
	j.stubbs@...kthink.co.jp
Subject: Re: Adding SNAT support to LVS/NAT

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 12:39 PM, Julius Volz <juliusv@...gle.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 3:37 AM, Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@...d.net> wrote:
>> On Sun, 14 Sep 2008, Julius Volz wrote:
>>
>>> So maybe it would already work? ;)
>>
>> No. Some highly motivated people tried doing SNAT on OUTPUT in an attempt to
>> do F5-SNAT and it didn't work. This lead to the write up in
>>
>> http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.non-modified_realservers.html#F5_snat
>>
>> which brings us to where we are now.
>
> Thanks for the info! Right, I even said myself in the previous reply
> that ip_vs_postrouting() stops further processing in the POSTROUTING
> chain, so it never reaches netfilter NAT code.

Actually, what if we modify or remove that function to allow further
processing in POSTROUTING? Could SNAT work with IPVS then?

The comment above it says that the function specifically wants to
avoid further NAT by netfilter. But is this always a problem?

Julius

--
Julius Volz - Corporate Operations - SysOps

Google Switzerland GmbH - Identification No.: CH-020.4.028.116-1