Date:	Wed, 08 Dec 2010 11:26:08 -0800
From:	Dimitris Michailidis <dm@...lsio.com>
To:	Ben Hutchings <bhutchings@...arflare.com>
CC:	Vladislav Zolotarov <vladz@...adcom.com>,
	Peter Waskiewicz <peter.p.waskiewicz.jr@...el.com>,
	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
Subject: Re: (Lack of) specification for RX n-tuple filtering

Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-12-08 at 10:54 -0800, Dimitris Michailidis wrote:
>> Ben Hutchings wrote:

>>> By 'RXNFC interface' I mean ETHTOOL_{G,S}RXCLS* and not
>>> ETHTOOL_{G,S}RXFH which wrongly share (part of) the same structure..

>>> Something like this, I think:
>>>
>>> struct ethtool_rxnfc insert_rule = {
>>> 	.cmd = ETHTOOL_SRXCLSRLINS,
>>> 	.flow_type = IP_USER_SPEC,
>>> 	.fs = {
>>> 		.flow_type = IP_USER_SPEC,
>>> 		.h_u.usr_ip4_spec = {
>>> 			.ip4src = inet_aton("192.168.10.200"),
>>> 			.ip_ver = ETH_RX_NFC_IP4
>>> 		},
>>> 		.m_u.usr_ip4_spec = {
>>> 			.ip4dst = 0xffffffff,
>>> 			.l4_4_bytes = 0xffffffff,
>>> 			.tos = 0xff,
>>> 			.proto = 0xff
>>> 		},
>>> 		.ring_cookie = RX_CLS_FLOW_DISC,
>>> 		.location = 0,
>>> 	}
>>> };
>> I think the mask would be 0 for don't care fields and 1 for care, so
>>
>> 	.m_u.usr_ip4_spec.ip4src = htonl(0xffffffff)
>> 	.m_u.usr_ip4_spec.ip4dst = htonl(0)
>> etc
>
> That is definitely the opposite of what ixgbe and sfc do for
> ethtool_ntuple_rx_flow_spec, and I believe it is the opposite of what
> niu does for ethtool_rx_flow_spec.

These are the values as our HW at least wants them.  The care bits are 1 in
the mask.  It's not a huge deal, the driver can complement the masks.

> [...]
>>> That's right.
>> It can be more involved than this.  Our HW allows a rule to select a
>> different part of the RSS table so you get a filter hit and still do RSS
>> afterwards if you want.  Current ethtool interfaces do not support this,
>> basically it would be a different action for either SRXNTUPLE or SRXCLSRLINS.
>
> So does the rule specify an offset added to the output of the RSS hash
> and indirection table, or can it also select a different indirection
> table?  Our current hardware also has a filter flag for the former
> behaviour...  There are still plenty of bits to spare in 'action' and
> 'ring_cookie' so perhaps we could define a flag for this?

You can partition the indirection table and then a rule can specify that
matching packets should consult region X of the table.  The hash value is
not altered, just the part of the overall table it indexes into.