Date:	Thu, 5 Jan 2012 18:36:24 +0000
From:	Ben Hutchings <bhutchings@...arflare.com>
To:	"Skidmore, Donald C" <donald.c.skidmore@...el.com>
CC:	Michal Miroslaw <mirqus@...il.com>,
	"Kirsher, Jeffrey T" <jeffrey.t.kirsher@...el.com>,
	"davem@...emloft.net" <davem@...emloft.net>,
	"gospo@...hat.com" <gospo@...hat.com>,
	"sassmann@...hat.com" <sassmann@...hat.com>,
	"Waskiewicz Jr, Peter P" <peter.p.waskiewicz.jr@...el.com>
Subject: RE: [net-next 8/9] ixgbe: add interface to export thermal data

On Thu, 2012-01-05 at 17:53 +0000, Skidmore, Donald C wrote:
> [...]

Nevertheless, there is a specific way that the thermal information
should be exposed.

> - Didn't seem like we had much data to offer hwmon anyway just sensor
> temp, caution threshold, maxop threshold and location of sensor.  All
> the other data (which you haven't seen yet so couldn't have known :)
> wasn't related.
> - The thermal data we do have is defined in our FW and could change
> (number of sensors) based on that FW.  I wasn't sure whether that
> would be an issue for hwmon.

I have the same issue with the current Solarflare controllers, as the
driver has no static information about specific boards.  It is possible
to generate hwmon attributes dynamically though I've not yet got round
to completing my implementation of this.  (Since firmware is also
responsible for thermal shutdown, handling any of this stuff in the
driver has been a low priority.)

> - I went with sysfs based on a conversation with Peter Waskiewicz.  He
> mentioned that there was discussion on how to export generic data at
> netconf and sysfs was brought up as the best choice.

Sensors are also exposed through sysfs, but following a specific naming
convention and using a separate hwmon device.

(Oddly, though, the sensor attributes are must be attached to the hwmon
device's parent - which will be your PCI device.  So you may not need to
make many changes.)

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings, Staff Engineer, Solarflare
They asked us to note that Solarflare product names are trademarked.