Date:   Tue, 8 Jan 2019 18:09:49 +0800
From:   Jason Wang <jasowang@...hat.com>
To:     "Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst@...hat.com>
Cc:     netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: thoughts stac/clac and get user for vhost

On 2019/1/7 下午10:45, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 07, 2019 at 02:54:19PM +0800, Jason Wang wrote:

>>> People reported a 10% gain with tiny packets, others reported more.
>>
>> Good to know this, any pointer. 2%-3% is the number I got from Jens' cover
>> letter.
> Oh interesting.  Also Jens' cover letter only from an earlier version,
> Jan 29. What happened between these two dates I don't know, worth
> investigating.

Btw, the increased times of userspace memory access looks like the root
cause of regression of packed ring implementation in vhost. If I manage
to do some out of spec stuffs to reduce the time, packed ring will be at
most as fast as split ring. I wonder whether or not it's the same case
of hardware implementation consider each PCI transaction is not free.

>>> Again, packed ring is faster sometimes by a factor of 3x but
>>> virtio is just virtio, there's a lot going on besides
>>> just passing the buffer addresses guest to host,
>>> and a different ring layout won't help with that.

>>> Speed up the split ring support in virtio pmd in dpdk? There have been
>>> several people working on that for a while now. It seems more likely
>>> that we can speed up the newer packed ring code.  E.g. things like
>>> prefetch have a much better chance to work will with the packed layout,
>>> with split one it was a wash IIRC.
>>
>> But what happen when in order is implemented for packed ring?
>>
>> I post a patch that increase 10% of PPS with less than 10 lines of code for
>> vhost (bypass the avail ring reading). I have similar patch for dpdk but
>> just don't have time to test it. Similar optimization could be applied to
>> used ring for TX easily.
>>
>> Thanks
> Oh I have no doubt we can speed things up with interface extensions.

Ok, let me repost the in order series for vhost.

Thanks