Date:   Tue, 5 Mar 2019 16:52:06 +0000
From:   Parav Pandit <parav@...lanox.com>
To:     Jakub Kicinski <jakub.kicinski@...ronome.com>
CC:     Or Gerlitz <gerlitz.or@...il.com>,
        "michal.lkml@...kovi.net" <michal.lkml@...kovi.net>,
        "davem@...emloft.net" <davem@...emloft.net>,
        "gregkh@...uxfoundation.org" <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>,
        Jiri Pirko <jiri@...lanox.com>
Subject: RE: [RFC net-next 0/8] Introducing subdev bus and devlink extension

Sorry for the confusion.
I meant to say, my understanding is Netronome creates one devlink instance for whole ASIC.
Please correct me if this is incorrect.
mlx5_core driver creates multiple devlink devices for PF and VFs for one ASIC.

>     Introduce devlink interface and first drivers to use it
>
>     There a is need for some userspace API that would allow to expose things
>     that are not directly related to any device class like net_device of
>     ib_device, but rather chip-wide/switch-ASIC-wide stuff.
>
>     [...]
>
> We can deviate from the original intent if need be and dilute the ontology.
> But let's be clear on the status quo, please.
Status quo is mlx5_core driver creates multiple devlink devices. It creates for devlink device for each PF and VF of a single ASIC.