Date:   Tue, 26 Mar 2019 13:51:27 -0400
From:   Willem de Bruijn <willemdebruijn.kernel@...il.com>
To:     Alexei Starovoitov <alexei.starovoitov@...il.com>
Cc:     Stanislav Fomichev <sdf@...ichev.me>,
        Stanislav Fomichev <sdf@...gle.com>,
        Network Development <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        bpf@...r.kernel.org, David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
        Alexei Starovoitov <ast@...nel.org>,
        Daniel Borkmann <daniel@...earbox.net>,
        simon.horman@...ronome.com, Willem de Bruijn <willemb@...gle.com>,
        Petar Penkov <peterpenkov96@...il.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC bpf-next v3 6/8] flow_dissector: handle no-skb use case

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 1:48 PM Alexei Starovoitov
<alexei.starovoitov@...il.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 09:45:29AM -0700, Stanislav Fomichev wrote:

> > > Are you saying that skb-less and skb flow dissector progs are looking
> > > at different positions into the packet ?
> > No, sorry for confusion, they are both called to parse (optional) L2-vlan
> > and L3+ headers. However, with-skb case can be called with l2-vlan
> > parsed (post RFS) or with l2-vlan unparsed (RFS). The vlan is pulled in
> > __netif_receive_skb_core, but we can still invoke flow dissector prior to
> > that when doing RFS (get_rps_cpu).
> >
> > That's why have this 'if skb->vlan_present' check in the bpf_flow.c program
> > (and then also manually test for ETH_P_8021Q/ETH_P_8021AD).
> >
> > Let me try to post the patches to bpf tree somewhere this week, we
> > can discuss the API changes there.
>
> let's figure out what we disable for bpf/stable first.
> Sound like skb->protocol isn't helping.
> prog has to read it from eth header anyway. then let's drop it from ctx?

The C flow dissector does not parse link layer headers It starts with
proto either given as argument or derived from skb->protocol (or
skb->vlan_proto).

The BPF flow dissector should work the same. It is fine to pass the
data including ethernet header, but parsing can start at nhoff with
proto explicitly passed.

We should not assume Ethernet link layer.