Date:   Fri, 08 May 2020 00:25:36 +0200
From:   Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke@...hat.com>
To:     John Fastabend <john.fastabend@...il.com>,
        Björn Töpel
        <bjorn.topel@...il.com>
Cc:     bpf <bpf@...r.kernel.org>, Netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        Jesper Dangaard Brouer <brouer@...hat.com>
Subject: Re: XDP bpf_tail_call_redirect(): yea or nay?

John Fastabend <john.fastabend@...il.com> writes:

> Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
>> Björn Töpel <bjorn.topel@...il.com> writes:

> I'm wondering if we can teach the verifier to recognize tail calls,
>
> int xdp_prog1(struct xdp_md *ctx)
> {
> 	return xdp_do_redirect(ctx, &xsks_map, 0);
> }
>
> This would be useful for normal calls as well. I guess the question here
> is would a tail call be sufficient for above case or do you need the
> 'return XDP_PASS' at the end? If so maybe we could fold it into the
> helper somehow.
>
> I think it would also address Toke's concerns, no new action so
> bpf developers can just develope like normal but "smart" developers
> will try do calls as tail calls.

This is certainly an interesting idea! Functional languages tend to
auto-optimise tail calls, so detecting them is certainly possible, at
least for the compiler. I suppose this could be a follow-on
optimisation, though, couldn't it? From the PoV of the surrounding code
(in the kernel), it doesn't really matter if the behaviour was signalled
by an explicit flag added in the code, or if this flag was automatically
added by the compiler.

> Not sure it can be done without driver changes though.

Well yeah, that's hard to know in the abstract, obviously. My point is
just that we should look very hard indeed before we decide it can't :)

-Toke