Date:   Mon, 2 Nov 2020 16:25:04 -0800
From:   Jacob Keller <jacob.e.keller@...el.com>
To:     Saeed Mahameed <saeed@...nel.org>,
        Tony Nguyen <anthony.l.nguyen@...el.com>, davem@...emloft.net,
        kuba@...nel.org
Cc:     netdev@...r.kernel.org, sassmann@...hat.com,
        Aaron Brown <aaron.f.brown@...el.com>
Subject: Re: [net-next 14/15] ice: join format strings to same line as
 ice_debug

On 11/2/2020 3:07 PM, Saeed Mahameed wrote:
> On Mon, 2020-11-02 at 14:23 -0800, Tony Nguyen wrote:
>> From: Jacob Keller <jacob.e.keller@...el.com>
>>
>> When printing messages with ice_debug, align the printed string to
>> the
>> origin line of the message in order to ease debugging and tracking
>> messages back to their source.
>>

> Just out of curiosity, you are only re-aligning the code and not the
> printed messages themselves. How would this help ? did you mean help
> with tracking the sources when doing grep like operations on the source
> code ?

The primary motivation is that the line number of the string now matches
the line number of the debug function statement, so there is better
alignment when using these line numbers with the dynamic debug messaging
system.

It's also a style thing, that came up on the list for some patches I
wrote for the ice flash update.. it was suggested to just keep the
message on the same line as the function. I felt that it was better to
go ahead and fix all of these files, so that future code is more likely
to use the preferred style rather than follow the pattern of older code.

Thanks,
Jake