Date:   Fri, 22 Jan 2021 09:01:13 +0100
From:   Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>
To:     David Ahern <dsahern@...il.com>
Cc:     Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
        davem@...emloft.net, jacob.e.keller@...el.com, roopa@...dia.com,
        mlxsw@...dia.com
Subject: Re: [patch net-next RFC 00/10] introduce line card support for
 modular switch

Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 11:55:45PM CET, dsahern@...il.com wrote:
>On 1/18/21 6:00 AM, Jiri Pirko wrote:
>>
>>> Reconfiguring routing is not the end of the world.
>> Well, yes, but you don't really want netdevices to come and go then you
>> plug in/out cables/modules. That's why we have split implemented as we
>
>And you don't want a routing daemon to use netdevices which are not
>valid due to non-existence. Best case with what you want is carrier down
>on the LC's netdevices and that destroys routing.

There are other things. The user may configure the netdev parameters in
advance, like mtu, put it in a bridge, setup TC filters on it etc.
The linecard unplug/plug does not destroy the settings. This is the same
thing with split ports and that is why we have implemented split ports
in "provision" mode as well.

>> do. I don't understand why do you think linecards are different.
>
>I still don't get why you expect linecards to be different than any
>other hotplug device.

It it not a device, does not have "struct device" related to it.
It is just a phy part of another device.