Date:   Fri, 22 Jan 2021 09:05:55 +0100
From:   Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>
To:     David Ahern <dsahern@...il.com>
Cc:     Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>, Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch>,
        netdev@...r.kernel.org, davem@...emloft.net,
        jacob.e.keller@...el.com, roopa@...dia.com, mlxsw@...dia.com
Subject: Re: [patch net-next RFC 00/10] introduce line card support for
 modular switch

Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 05:38:40PM CET, dsahern@...il.com wrote:
>On 1/21/21 8:32 AM, Jiri Pirko wrote:

>>> But Jiri also says "The linecard type is known to the driver which
>>> operates on i2c." which sounds like there is some i2c driver (in user
>>> space?) which talks to the card and _does_ have the info? Maybe I'm
>>> misreading it. What's the i2c driver?
>>
>> That is Vadim's i2c kernel driver, this is going to upstream.
>>

>This pre-provisioning concept makes a fragile design to work around h/w
>shortcomings. You really need a way for the management card to know

Not really. As I replied to you in the other part of this thread, the
linecard is basically very similar to a splitter cable. In a way, it is
a splitter cable. And should be threated in a similar way. As a phy. Not
as a device. Cables are replaceble without netdevice reappearing. This
linecards are the same. Therefore, the concept of provisioning makes
sense for them, as it does for splitter cable.

>exactly what was plugged in to a slot so the control plane S/W can
>respond accordingly. Surely there is a way for processes on the LC to
>communicate with a process on the management card - even if it is inband
>packets with special headers.

If a device is capable of splitter cable/linecard hotplug, sure, that
may be implemented. But the user has to configure it as such, to be
aware that "cable change" may move netdevices around.