Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2018 04:30:11 -0500
From: denis bider <denisbider.ietf@...il.com>
To: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@....freebsd.dk>
Cc: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] How to: A super-efficient cryptographic accumulator?

Yeah, but... I'm *still* not so sure. :) People said we couldn't have a
digital currency either! The coins would be GIGABYTES in length! :D

This is not fractal compression because we do not intend to decompress. We
are definitely throwing away data. What we want is a compressed *oracle*,
however.

The size of X I estimated if using a hash function (8 bytes?!) was clearly
ridiculous. What I proposed was to generate X by brute-forcing it as a
counter input to a pseudo-random function that generates a string 32*N bits
in size. If N is the number of passwords we are encoding, then to encode 1
billion passwords, the random string needs to have 32 billion bits - and
they all must be zero. Clearly, an X that we arrive at this way must be
about 32 billion bits in size. So, uh... 4 gigabytes.

But what if... say... instead of a hash function - *mod N* arithmetic?

Suppose we represent the passwords we want to store using primes P1, P2,
... Pn. We generate:

X = P1 * P2 * ... * Pn *mod N*

Of course, when we do "*mod N*", we are losing information. But how fast?

Are you sure that arguments against fractal compression also apply to
highly lossy compression like this? ZIP won't compress a PNG, but JPG will
;)

Content of type "text/html" skipped