Date: Fri Nov 25 23:20:56 2005
From: exibar at thelair.com (Exibar)
Subject: [inbox] RE: Hacking Boot camps!: certifications

> So am I any smarter for having my CISSP over a GIAC?... I dont think so..
> but the employeers seem to thing so =)

Just to chime in a personal opinion....    The GIAC exams (NOT their new
Silver level, but the Gold level) is worth more to me than CISSP.  Why do
you ask.  CISSP only requires you to take an exam, pass, and you get your
cert.  The GIAC GOLD certs require you to write a paper, of varying length
per cert, and pass it and 1 or 2 exams in order to get yoru cert.
   It's one thing to be able to go to a week long class, brush up on a few
points here and there, take an exam and pass to get a cert, CISSP.
   It's another copletely different thing to be able to comprehend the
information enough to be able to write a 20 - 75 page paper on the subject,
have it read and graded by "experts" in the field, and then get the cert.
GIAC
   Even though the GIAC certs generally cover a narrow topic compared to
CISSP, you have to know your subject quite well in order to be able to pass
that cert.  Forget about the silver cert for GIAC... just another exam or
two to pass....

 IF I was interviewing someone new for a security position, I'd certainly
take this into account before hireing them.  Along with many other factors
too, of course.

 Exibar